[Foundation-l] Community Assembly

Andrew Whitworth wknight8111 at gmail.com
Fri May 16 01:24:12 UTC 2008

On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 9:12 PM, Lars Aronsson <lars at aronsson.se> wrote:
> No, it is not.  Within each of these nine projects, new
> encyclopedic articles, new news reports, new books, new quotations
> are created every day.  As well as new categories of encyclopedic
> articles, new portals, new WikiProjects.  Each of these is a
> "project" in its own right, managed over a long time by one or
> more individuals.  But they don't need their own domain names and
> logotypes because they are able to fit within the structure of
> these nine projects.

I agree with Lars here. The projects that we do have are all broad
projects for certain "types" of material. Most projects that are
proposed are limited to certain subjects, or certain idiosyncracies of
intrapersonal interaction, or something else. Instead of lamenting the
relative lack of new projects, we should be grateful that the projects
we do have are sufficiently general and adaptive enough to support
diverse materials.

I have seen very very few project proposals that couldn't fit in at
one of the existing projects, and the remaining few are highly
questionable in their merits anyway. New projects are only good if
they do not significantly overlap with our existing projects, and if
they expand our realm of possibility. I suspect that the potential for
massive expansion that is not covered by our current projects is very
small.

--Andrew Whitworth