[Foundation-l] Community Assembly

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Fri May 16 01:12:25 UTC 2008

Pharos wrote:
> Isn't that a sign of stagnation?

No, it is not.  Within each of these nine projects, new
encyclopedic articles, new news reports, new books, new quotations
are created every day.  As well as new categories of encyclopedic
articles, new portals, new WikiProjects.  Each of these is a
"project" in its own right, managed over a long time by one or
more individuals.  But they don't need their own domain names and
logotypes because they are able to fit within the structure of
these nine projects.

A few proposals have been put forth, that don't fit, e.g. Wikicat
and Wikidata, that noone succeeded to bring to reality so far.
Some similar open content projects have developed outside of the
Wikimedia Foundation, e.g. Wikitravel, WiktionaryZ/Omegawiki,
Dbpedia (is this Wikidata?), OpenLibrary (is this Wikicat?),
MusicBrainz (like Wikicat for music), and OpenStreetMap.

Nothing stops an interest group such as WikiProject Connecticut
from working across Wikipedia + Wikisource + Wikiquote + Wikinews
+ Wikitravel + OpenStreetMap + MusicBrainz. This flexibility is an
enourmous strength, compared to a structure where every new
project or interest group would have to pass through a centralized
approval bottleneck and stay within the Wikimedia Foundation.

> But I would not think of proposing any such projects with the
> current non-system, where they stand little to no chance of
> actually being implemented.

If you have a really great idea for a new project, you can always
start it on your own.  Wikitravel did and OpenStreetMap did.  I
don't think the Wikimedia Foundation is stopping you.  Some people
prefer to complain about how WMF works instead of starting great
projects.  Are you among them?  How should I know?

Instead of starting your annotated bibliography (which might be a
good idea) as a new WMF project, perhaps you should start a
subproject within OpenLibrary?  Who knows if OpenLibrary might
merge with WMF in the future.

The Wright brothers needed to design their own aircraft to fly
less than a mile.  I can fly thousands of miles without designing
my own aircraft.

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)