[Foundation-l] Translation of the language names

Anon Sricharoenchai anon.hui at gmail.com
Thu May 15 06:56:40 UTC 2008

On 5/15/08, Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hoi,
>  The Babel extension that is being developed in Betawiki has all these
>  languages translated into the native language. Also the name for the
>  language is initially retrieved from the CLDR standard. We will welcome your

Another solution is to use libicu (http://www.icu-project.org/) via
php-intl extension (http://docs.php.net/manual/en/intro.intl.php).
ICU have already imported those translations from CLDR.
See http://demo.icu-project.org/icu-bin/locexp?_=fr&SHOWLanguages=1#Languages
, for an example of french translations.

With php-intl, use,
http://docs.php.net/manual/en/locale.getdisplaylanguage.php: to get
localized display of language name
http://docs.php.net/manual/en/locale.getdisplayscript.php: localized
display of script name
http://docs.php.net/manual/en/locale.getdisplayregion.php: localized
display of region name

MediaWiki then could have magic variables for these translations.