[Foundation-l] Translation of the language names

Milos Rancic millosh at gmail.com
Thu May 15 00:33:05 UTC 2008

On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 2:18 AM, Gerard Meijssen
<gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
> The Babel extension that is being developed in Betawiki has all these
> languages translated into the native language. Also the name for the
> language is initially retrieved from the CLDR standard. We will welcome your
> help localising the Babel extension... We truly want it to become available
> as a WMF extension :)
>
> I am still puzzled what you want to use it for.. There are many projects
> that have already done exactly this and many are available under a free
> license as well..

I need it for bots. And I need it only for existing WM projects. I
know that there are many projects which have almost everything needed,
so it would be helpful. Also, I see that [[ISO 639-1]] pages through a
lot of the projects are well localized.

The point is that I/we need it for WM purposes (which don't include
only bots, but, as you said, may be useful for Babel templates, too;
also, instead of looking into codes at Meta localization pages, we may
look in language names in our language). Actually, I think that it
should be added into Betawiki as an integral part of MW localization
process.

However, while I am waiting for that, I want to have something.
Actually, I think that this set of pages may be useful for further
work related to MW localization.