[Foundation-l] [WikiEN-l] Lobby takeover of wikimedia projects, particularly English wikipedia

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Fri May 9 19:15:17 UTC 2008

2008/5/9 Chad <innocentkiller at gmail.com>:

> Trying to game the system to push a point is disruptive. I believe
> most communities pretty much accept the standard of "disruption
> leads to blocking." Yes, they are subverting, but what difference
> would a Foundation resolution make? It's not as though it would
> make lobbyists suddenly admit themselves and say "Ah, you caught
> me."

Well, yeah. The thing I've seen most rein in PR company blog advice on
how to get on Wikipedia is not "the Wikipedia community will be upset
at you" but - in the wake of WikiScanner's media moment - "the public
will lynch you and send your client's brand into the toilet."

Mission posters are of course much more Terminator-like in their
persistence. But with that sort of persistence comes stupidity.

- d.