[Foundation-l] Dealing with interwiki disruption

Birgitte SB birgitte_sb at yahoo.com
Fri May 9 16:42:09 UTC 2008

--- On Thu, 5/8/08, White Cat <wikipedia.kawaii.neko at gmail.com> wrote:

> From: White Cat <wikipedia.kawaii.neko at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [Foundation-l] Dealing with interwiki disruption
> Date: Thursday, May 8, 2008, 12:50 PM
> You realize what you are saying is the opposite of what you
> mean right?
>
> The local community should decide weather or not to give a
> second chance to
> the disruptive user. Such a decision should not be made bu
> the disruptive
> user.
>
> When a disruptive user blocked on some other wiki starts
> editing another
> wiki. Consider a user indef banned from en.wikiquote starts
> to edit
> en.wikisource... The local community should know exactly
> who they are
> dealing with.

En.WS can figure out if they are disruptive or not without help.  "Disruption" is as often as not due to the context of the situation.  I don't believe that users are inherently disruptive, but only become disruptive when they are a bad fit with the culture of the wiki.  Just because someone cannot handle writing a neutral encyclopedia article on abortion on en.WP does not mean they will cause problems if they come to en.WS and transcribe US court descisions on abortion.  The sister projects all have different angles and sometimes a person is just a bad fit for a certain angle.  Users should be banned for disruption where they cause problems not where they haven't.

Birgitte SB