[Foundation-l] [WikiEN-l] Lobby takeover of wikimedia projects, particularly English wikipedia

White Cat wikipedia.kawaii.neko at gmail.com
Thu May 8 14:16:31 UTC 2008

On Tue, May 6, 2008 at 9:37 AM, Florence Devouard <Anthere9 at yahoo.com>
wrote:

> White Cat wrote:
> > Although it is a well known issue, this issue has finally made its way to
> > spotlight with the ongoing CAMERA incident on English wikipedia... I am
> sure
> > English wikipedia's arbcom will come up with a reasonable conclusion and
> the
> > purpose of this email is not related to the CAMERA arbcom case directly.
>
> Which is good because it is likely most editors on Foundation mailing
> have no idea what the CAMERA incident is...

Yes, I know that. Which is the reason why I posted it on Foundation-l as
well as Wiki-en-l

> [...]
> > I recommend that foundation pass a ruling on the matter of lobby
> takeovers.
>
> Which type of ruling are you thinking of ?
>
> Ant

I am not entirely certain. Some sort of a *carefully worded* statement that
unwelcome systematic pov pushing. Really should go without saying...

This has happened many times before. Just to refresh your memory the Danish
Mohammed cartoon controversy, Youtube/Facebook based campaign to remove all
depictions of Mohamed from wikipedia, CAMERA incident are a few of the more
notable cases.

While English wikipedia is somewhat prepared to deal with such issues, other
wikis are quite ill prepared. It would immensely help if there was a global
rule on this issue.

Stewards will not be able to step in unless this is a general rule I think.
Or at least such a ruling would untie the hands of stewards and locals
alike.

   - White Cat