[Foundation-l] Stable versions live on de.wp

Magnus Manske magnusmanske at googlemail.com
Thu May 8 12:46:10 UTC 2008

On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 11:15 AM, Andrew Gray <shimgray at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/5/8 Magnus Manske <magnusmanske at googlemail.com>:
>

>  >  I think Lars calls FlaggedRevs "soft locking" and doesn't want to
>  >  apply it on a large scale.
>  >
>  >  IMHO FlaggedRevs are much different from protection/locking. The
>  >  purpose of FlaggedRevs is to present the uninitiated audience with a
>  >  vandalism-free Wikipedia. Applying FlaggedRevs to only a few pages
>  >  will not achieve that.
>
>  I think Lars' worry is (partly) a matter of update rates leading to
>  locking-through-inertia.
>
>  Yes, we can purge through all existing pages and set a flag on them -
>  indeed, it's an excellent opportunity to do so, and it means that
>  hopefully all pages will get eyeballed to make them clean.
>
>  But! What happens next? If I go off and update a short article (one
>  which no-one has watchlisted, etc) on de.wp, what mechanism is in
>  place to flag *that* revision? Is it possible that on non-high-traffic
>  pages, an "old" revision could remain the newest flagged one for
>  weeks, months, despite having been superceded?
>
>  I can see how this would have the effect of soft-locking - I'd really
>  like to know how we plan to get round it.

A flagged page that is edited by a "trusted" user (that is, one who
can flag pages) is flagged by default. Given the (potentially) huge
number of such users, many pages will have flags updated as a
by-product of normal editing.

>  Automatically generated reports of all pages with the most recent edit
>  "unflagged", sorted by age, perhaps? This'd allow the permitted users
>  to knock off a few each a day, keep it churning over. The sort of
>  thing that would appeal to inveterate RC patrollers ;-)

There are a number of special pages for these purposes. There's one
that lists pages with no flagged version; you can even filter by
category!
I think I saw a "sort-by-oldest-flag" page as well.

Of course, the potential for views on this would increase
exponentially once such info is available through the API. Maybe I
should write a toolserver interface until then. Are the respective
tables/fields replicated to the toolserver?

Magnus