[Foundation-l] Fwd: A wiki where every article is a realmedicalcase

Cary Bass cbass at wikimedia.org
Wed May 7 18:46:36 UTC 2008

Andrew Whitworth wrote:
> On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 2:30 PM, Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net> wrote:
>> Philippe Beaudette wrote:
>>  >> It is a wiki where every article is a real medical case. Basically,
>>  >> the victims of diseases write the symptoms and upload interactive
>>  >> media, and any medically interested person describes it.
>
> I don't understand why people think that they need to create
> special-purpose wikis for all sorts of specialized topics? If you want
> to talk about medical cases, you could easily do a learning experiment
> with it on Wikiversity, or write up case studies in book-form on
> Wikibooks. You could create a book "Medical Case Studies" with
> hundreds or even thousands of sub-pages for each case. If you're
> married to the name "Wikisick", I'm sure you could name it that too.
>
> The point is that we have plenty of space for this and other
> single-subject ideas in our existing projects. I would love to see
> this idea turn into a successful wikibook or wikiversity course. It's
> pointless to make it a separate project, however.
>
> --Andrew Whitworth

Hear, hear!  I'm always trying to promote Wikibooks, though... and am
not always sure how to direct people so I sometimes fall flat.  I think
<http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/WB:NEW> is a good start.

Partially to understand how Wikibooks works, I did collaborate with
Durova to start a particular one [[b:Introduction to crochet]] which can
still use more contributions.

--
Cary Bass
Volunteer Coordinator

Your continued donations keep Wikipedia running! Support the Wikimedia
Foundation today: http://donate.wikimedia.org
Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.
Phone: 415.839.6885
Fax: 415.882.0495