[Foundation-l] Cary Bass as "Wikimedia US Affiliates Coordinator"

Sue Gardner sgardner at wikimedia.org
Mon May 5 17:03:51 UTC 2008

effe iets anders wrote:
> What you seem to mean to me, is a group of enthusiast volunteers who
> want to do stuff. Yeah, the Volunteer Coordinator (Cary) might be a
> good point of approach then. And maybe in some cases (conferences,
> Wikipedia academies) the guy who is handling reachout (Frank). But the
> same goes for enthusiast volunteers in southern Spain, Zambia, Nepal
> or New Zealand. They would have to approach the same people for the
> same things, and I still do not see why US volunteers should take a
> different position on this. They are not more important, at most
> higher in number (although that would have to proof itself first).
>
> As soon as there are legal entities (or at least groups with
> formalized structures) in the US, incorporated or not, I guess their
> point of approach would be the chapters coordinator (Delphine) /
> chapters committee . As long as you're not, I think that the regular
> current structures should be sufficient (because you're no "affiliate"
> anyways)..
>
> BR, Lodewijk

Effe's correct.

Delphine is the point person for chapters, so if volunteers in the
United States want to formally organize, she would be their contact for
that. The fact that she's not in the United States doesn't/shouldn't
matter - she's the chapters' global representative (Hong Kong, Taiwan,
Argentina, Israel) and is used to working with people who are far from
her geographically. There's no need for the United States to get any
special treatment.

People who don't want to organize formally into chapters or chapter-like
entities can continue to work with Cary, who is the point person for
individual volunteers. So Pharos working with Cary for Wikipedia Takes
Manhattan makes perfect sense :-)

--

Sue Gardner
Executive Director