[Foundation-l] Chapter-selected Board seats - brainstorming

Milos Rancic millosh at gmail.com
Thu May 1 19:07:13 UTC 2008

On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 8:41 PM,  <daniwo59 at aol.com> wrote:
>  As for some of the other comments: sure, regional US chapters can raise
>  money, but for what purpose? As for PR, let's say that a chapter forms in
>  Atlanta: are they going to be the ones to speak on CNN, or will it be the
>  Foundation? Similarly, what if Bill O'Reilly wants to interview someone: will it  be the
>  Chair of Wikimedia New York or the representative of the Foundation. As  for
>  a "death of titles," that should not be what this is about. It only serves  to
>  highlight differences in rank, rather than eliminate them. Once we used to
>  pride ourselves on an admin being nothing more than an ordinary user with a
>  mop.  Why create a culture of hierarchies when it is not needed?

I am not introduced about a place where Bill O'Reilly is working, so I
suppose that it is New York. He will be able more often to interview
the Chair of WM NY, than the chair of WMF. As well as one journalist
from Belgrade has much more chances to interview the chair of WM RS
than the chair of WMF (or anyone from the Board or the Office). I also
may imagine that New York journalists are especially interested in
Wikimedians from New York and that they will prefer from time to time
to interview New York Wikimedian.

Note that WMF is *now* based in California. As it pretends to be a
global organization, it may be based in Singapore, Geneva, Paris,
Shanghai... -- as well. And Wikimedians from New York will need their
office and their organization with or without WMF based in San
Francisco.