[Foundation-l] Chapter-selected Board seats - brainstorming

daniwo59 at aol.com daniwo59 at aol.com
Thu May 1 18:41:12 UTC 2008

In a message dated 5/1/2008 2:27:36 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
polimerek at gmail.com writes:

But the  cost of travel by plane is similar around USD 500 - and
practically - time  of travel as well if you take into consideration
time spent to get to  airport and time spent in custom, check-in etc.
And believe me - the  difference between London and Warsaw is much
higher than between LA and NY  in terms of language, habits, level of
personal income etc. We are not  going to travel across Europe and US
on horses, so the distance in miles is  not so important :-)

Sure, the cultural differences are vast. I was simply addressing geographic
differences, which facilitate interpersonal contact, a key component of
chapter  building.

As for some of the other comments: sure, regional US chapters can raise
money, but for what purpose? As for PR, let's say that a chapter forms in
Atlanta: are they going to be the ones to speak on CNN, or will it be the
Foundation? Similarly, what if Bill O'Reilly wants to interview someone: will it  be the
Chair of Wikimedia New York or the representative of the Foundation. As  for
a "death of titles," that should not be what this is about. It only serves  to
highlight differences in rank, rather than eliminate them. Once we used to
pride ourselves on an admin being nothing more than an ordinary user with a
mop.  Why create a culture of hierarchies when it is not needed?

listings at AOL Autos.