[Foundation-l] American chapters (was: Chapter-selected Board seats - brainstorming)

effe iets anders effeietsanders at gmail.com
Thu May 1 17:50:30 UTC 2008

2008/5/1, daniwo59 op aol.com <daniwo59 op aol.com>:

> What is the objective of this chapter? Is it to solicit tax-free donations
>  in the US? The WMF is already doing that with a professional, dedicated staff.
>  Is it to negotiate with local institutions over the release of content?
>  Again,  the WMF is in the same country and is better equipped to do this. Is it to
>  provide a membership organization that will assume responsibility for
>  content? I  doubt it. Is it to organize meetups and other social events? If so, then
>  why go  to the trouble of incorporating just to have a realtime beer with your
>  online  friends? Is it just to have a say in determining the chapter seats?
>  Seems like a  lot of trouble for that.
>
>  While I do not oppose a US chapter or even a series of local chapters, it
>  would seem prudent to determine first what the purpose of the chapter is.
>
>  Danny

Hi Danny,

as you undoubtely know, the Wikimedia Movement is always struggling
with limited resources. And those are not only money, as you might
think. Volunteer effords and enthusiasm, and heck, even titles
(president, board member) are limited. A more local organization could
approach more local institutions, such as the local college, high
school, organize workshops, conferences, do local PR, talk to the
local press. It will be even easier to send presidents and board
members to conferences and interviews (President of Wikimedia
Philadelphia still sounds much better and interesting then "Wikipedia
volunteer" for interviewers, conference attendees and small sponsors).
A big network of chapters might actually has a nice added value.

Theoretically, yes, this could be done by the WMF staff, But it would
cost a lot of staff time, and I always beleive that if volunteers can
do the job, let them do it. So please don't just say there is no added
value, there certainly might be. But yes, I agree there will be a cost
too (time, money, communication) and the individuals who are thinking
of starting up chapters just have to think about it really well if it
is worth it for them.

-- Lodewijk