[Foundation-l] American chapters (was: Chapter-selected Board seats - brainstorming)

effe iets anders effeietsanders at gmail.com
Thu May 1 17:44:22 UTC 2008

I think Birgitte has a valid point. Not as much she wants (if I
understand correctly) to "forbid" chapters or so, but she validly
points out that there is in the US less of a *need* for chapters. That
has the logical consequence that individuals will feel less urge to
start one themselves.

I think that chapters should indeed be formed if people feel the urge
to start one. Because if you have to force a chapter into existence,
there is a big question whether it will be actually sustainable. Not
only financially, but maybe more important with respect to volunteer
manpower and enthusiasm.

It might be good to reconsider before starting a chapter what exactly
you expect to add to the current situation. In Europe/Africa/Asia etc
the situation is quite clear: there is a need for local representation
to organize conferences, meetups, communication and exchange of
experiences. There is a need for local representation to the press and
to the rest of the outside world such as like minded organizations.

In the US things are indeed just a bit more complicated. Some of these
tasks are being taken care of perfectly by the WMF, so there will
probably be less people who see a need for a chapter. If there are
people who see such a need, great! Get started, and please, imho don't
wait for the Wikimedia Foundation to approve you, but start *doing*
things, start to show what you can add. Organize meetups, organize
workshops as a group of volunteers, and show why you would make a
great chapter to work with.

It gives you a head start, and it enables you to launch very well once
you get approved and you can get legalized. Because excuse me, but the
Foundation is not really amongst the fastest organizations I know :)
That is not per se a bad thing, but please don't sit back and wait for
approval :)

Best regards,

Lodewijk