No subject

Fri Mar 14 23:02:16 UTC 2008

is useful.  In order to guarantee that content can be reused
freely everywhere, you need to consider not only copyright law but
also laws on privacy, blasphemy, national security, etc.  Images
that we share, such as caricatures of national leaders and photos
of train stations, might be unlawful in various countries.  To
what extent should we let that stop us?

Exactly what is legal or illegal varies from place to place and
from time to time.  It can only be determined by a court of law,
and not by a popular vote on Commons, or by any statement from the
board of the WMF.  Even though WMF/Commons policies can provide a
guideline, it is impossible to guarantee that any image or content
is "safe" or "free" for any use.  That cannot be the goal for such
policies.  Instead, such policies must have the limited goal of
protecting the WMF, so it can continue to function.

Disclaimer: I'm not speaking for anybody, only for myself.

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)