[Foundation-l] A question for the Wikimania jury

Brianna Laugher brianna.laugher at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 02:14:50 UTC 2008

> Does the phrase "easily accessible" mean wheelchairs, etc., or does it
>  mean "close to Europe and North America"?

Paragraph from Phoebe's email:

As in previous years, the relative accessibility of locations was
extensively discussed. The jury believes that it's important for
Wikimania to be accessible to as wide an audience as possible,
particularly to members of the Wikimedia community; the relatively
high cost of travel to South America from Europe and North America was
one of the most significant drawbacks we identified in the Buenos
Aires bid—especially coming on the heels of Taipei and Alexandria.
Having said that, the jury believes that the Buenos Aires bid overcame
this drawback with its numerous advantages, among those the
opportunity to hold the conference in a Spanish-speaking locale, on a
new continent.  We hope to receive strong bids from easily accessible
locations for 2010.
<<<

In this context it's clear to me that "easily accessible" means "close
to Europe/north America".

Brianna

http://modernthings.org/