[Foundation-l] Advertisement and service at the same time

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sun Mar 23 18:41:18 UTC 2008

White Cat wrote:
> Jimmy Wales wrote:
>
>> I don't know of anyone, even among those advocating for advertisements,
>> who advocates putting them in article space.
>>
> Right. What I am saying is this is a potential hazard of advertisements.
> Even if they are randomly assigned to articles non-problematic adds may be a
> problem based on topic
Advertising is rooted in an underlying consumerist philosophy.
Consumerism in turn needs mass production to be successful.

In a truly collaborationist model we all start as equals; there is no
presumption that a body of knowledge cannot contain certain ideas on the
grounds of triviality; there is no presumption that a templated
technological solution will bring needed order to the universe; there is
no presumption that a style guide represents the unique allowable form
of expression.  All of these uniforming techniques are the bread and
butter of consumerism.

Ec