[Foundation-l] Fundraising "Bugging for Dollars"

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Fri Mar 21 09:14:14 UTC 2008

Screamer wrote:
> This seems very reasonable.  One can make restricted donations for a
> purpose only.  And it can be made known, that such a donation is for the
> restricted purpose of equipment purchase and upkeep, bandwidth, and or
> network staff.
Looks like an excellent way to generate useless extra bookkeeping in
maintaining tainted accounts.  If we have $1,000,000 budgeted for
equipment anyway, and we have $50,000 designated for equipment by
donors, then we just use that $50,000 as designated, and add $950,000
from general revenue.  It all comes to the same thing except for the
extra bookkeeping.  If a donor cuts it too fine, and starts insisting on
specific types of equipment as a condition for his donation, it's best
to just send the money back, or better still tear up the cheque and put
it in the trash.

Ec