[Foundation-l] Fundraising "Bugging for Dollars"

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 18:02:18 UTC 2008

Hoi,
There has been a voting system for fixing bugs for a real long time. It just
does not make much difference. Bugs are waiting for a friendly developer to
come along, bugs that first needed board approval before it gets in
Bugzilla, bugs that will start new projects that are waiting. The request
for the Hungarian Wikinews is waiting today for its 49th day.... It is
bugging the people that just have to wait for their project to start.

When we need to get things done, we either do it ourselves or we wait until
it gets done. When dollars buy you bug fixes, you have to wonder what the
net effect is. As it is, the priorities are decided by necessity and a
volunteer can do whatever tickles his fancy. Dollars do not buy you what
needs doing and a volunteer is not for sale. Consequently the only way in
which you can buy a bug fix is when people are contracted to do this work
and they will do this at a reasonable rate if there is continuity for the
contractor.

Many organisations have issues with bugs. Many occasionally hire a
developer. As they are needed only occasionally bugs are expensive to fix.

Thanks,
     GerardM