[Foundation-l] Ads and monobook

Ben Yates ben.louis.yates at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 14:00:52 UTC 2008

That's totally wrong.  Even with a "hide forever" button, 90% of
wikipedia's visitors will probably not bother to click it (and another
5% will already have adblock software installed). Never, ever assume
the general public thinks the same way tech-savvy people do.

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 7:47 PM, White Cat
<wikipedia.kawaii.neko at gmail.com> wrote:
> I still don't think we need advertisements. And if ads can simply be closed
>  forever with one click forever (like how it is on site notice) there may not
>  be much point to have them. Ads are supposed to be annoying so they catch
>  your attention.
>
>    - White Cat
>

>  On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 12:05 AM, Jon Harald Søby <jhsoby at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>  > How about just adding a button that says "Turn off advertisements" that
>  > works just like the "close" button for the sitenotice?
>  >
>  > 2008/3/19, White Cat <wikipedia.kawaii.neko at gmail.com>:
>  > >
>  > > People who edit wikipedia are a very tiny minority of the peole who
>  > > actually
>  > > use wikipedia. Most annoying thing on any website is the stupid
>  > > advertisements that get in the way.
>  > >
>  > >
>  > >   - White Cat