[Foundation-l] Ads and monobook

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed Mar 19 21:19:05 UTC 2008

Chad wrote:
> On the subject of ads, I have a question. Given that all registered users can
> edit their WP stylesheet to suit their needs, /if/ ads were added, what's to
> keep the registered users from putting something like .ads {display: none;}
> to make sure they saw nothing? And by that extension, what's to keep
> a project from adding that to their local mediawiki's stylesheet? I would
> assume a policy would exist to prohibit the latter.
>
> Just some food for thought.
To be grammatically accurate your premise should read "Given that all
registered users_ may _edit their WP stylesheet..." That would clarify
that the permission is active without implying an equivalent degree of
skill.  In reality, only a limited segment of the community _can_ edit
these arcane structures.

Ec