[Foundation-l] Restricting Appointed members (Proposal).

Milos Rancic millosh at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 11:35:39 UTC 2008

There are a couple of notes related to secrecy or "secrecy" of the
Provisional Council:

- The first time that I see a higher level of community's involvement
in relation to this matter is now. Until Lodewijk didn't post "the
final proposal" for PC a very small group of people were involved in
discussion. A couple of months ago Florence announced here her
intention to finish Wiki Council idea...

- While we were talking there about a lot of Wiki/Volunteer Council,
we concluded that we are not able to make it there, that we need a
number of persons who will get a task to make a *proposal* and that
such body (i.e. Provisional Council) shouldn't be able to make any
kind of decision except to make a proposal for further functioning of
Wiki/Volunteer Council. So, speaking formally, Provisional Council is
*not* Volunteer Council, but a body which should propose
responsibilities and duties of Volunteer Council.

- Personally, I don't agree with keeping the names in secret. However,
I am sure that all people who gave a constructive input here or at
Wiki Council page will be included in that body. (While I don't know
for any name from the Lodewijk's list, I may suppose what names are
there.)

- As I said, the function of the Provisional Council is to arrange the
ideas and to make some final proposal to the Board. Unlike talks on
this list, PC will be formed to make some conclusions, not only to
discuss. This is the main reason why a specific group of people
dedicated to finish one task is better than a place for talking,
without a specific goal.

- The first thing which PC should do is to define conditions under
which it succeed or not. This is very important because in the case of
not finished job, it should say it openly and ask the Board and the
community to define some other way for doing that job.

- Also, I think that it is very important that PC discuss publicly
about all important issues. Maybe the best idea is to find initial
questions and then to ask them here, at foundation-l. And,
consequently, to inform the community about conclusions and to ask new
questions if they exist.