[Foundation-l] Bridgeman v. Corel worldwide for Wikimedia Commons

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sat Mar 15 20:19:56 UTC 2008

Mike Godwin wrote:
> Michael Snow writes:
>
>> I'm not offering a legal opinion on the underlying issue, but if I
>> follow the discussion correctly it shows absolutely no reason to think
>> Mike has "overruled" Erik on anything. The statement from Mike that is
>> being pointed to is about a different question entirely.
>>
> Not only have I not "overruled" Erik on any issue, so far as I know,
> but I feel certain that I don't really have the power to do so. I
> advise Erik and the rest of the staff and the board, and, while I'm in
> charge of the legal department within WMF, that department itself is
> under the supervision of WMF top management.
>
> That said, I think Michael Snow's characterization here is correct.
> --Mike
Excellent I have no problem with that.

What becomes problematical is the inability of some readers to
distinguish between discussible opinion and binding pronouncements.  The
unfortunate consequence of this is that if every word spoken by a lawyer
is given the same weight as a supreme court decision there is little
that he can say without putting himself in a compromising situation.

Ec