[Foundation-l] Volunteer Council - A shot for a resolution

Nathan nawrich at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 18:38:29 UTC 2008

I guess I should be more clear about community building - I was referring
not to increasing the size and productivity of the community, but increasing
the structure of the community by adding layers of bureaucracy. Mike G
mentioned the other day the issue of barrier to entry for new contributors,
and I think the more bureaucratic we get and the farther we are from a
fairly flat and streamlined organization the higher that barrier to entry
will be.

It seems like dissatisfaction with current structures is causing folks to
propose new and parallel structures as a solution - not only are there
functional problems with any sort of group like an Advisory Council that
subtly parallels the Board, there are legal problems as well. Committees
like chapcom and langcom etc. that are clearly and fully subordinate to the
Board exist and perform currently, and so before hashing out a complex
structure for a Volunteer Council I'd like to see a succinct bullet point
list of exactly what it is supposed to accomplish, and how it will benefit
the goal of accumulating and distributing free content. Perhaps this has
been outlined already and I haven't seen it. Having asked the question, I'll
go look now to see if its already been answered.

Nathan