[Foundation-l] Volunteer Council - A shot for a resolution

Milos Rancic millosh at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 14:36:15 UTC 2008

On 3/14/08, Florence Devouard <Anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>  Some of the discussions currently at the board level implies
>  "separating" the board in two bodies, with the board keeping mostly
>  professionals, whilst the council would host the community members (who
>  may be professional, but not the *right* professionals).

In all cases all bodies should be under political control (i.e. under
some kind of direct electoral body control). So, as Kat and you are,
for example, elected members -- you should have a power to appoint
expert members. If you want to have more expert then political persons
inside of the Board, than elected members should appoint more expert
members.

On 3/14/08, Florence Devouard <Anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>  The 5 members of the Maltese wikipedia ? Why should I trust 5 members
>  who approve one guy to be in charge of the governance of the Foundation
>  ? For all I know, they might be his 2 brothers, 1 cousin, a friend and
>  his lover.
>
>  Or the 5 members of the Maltese Wikipedia + 2 members of the corsican
>  wikipedia + 6 members of the volapuck and 7 members from the swahili ?
>  2+6+7 of those not knowing the candidate and maybe not even sharing a
>  common language with him ? Why would the swahili guys vote for a maltese
>  guy they have never heard about ?

If we are talking about the final form of the Council, 5 members of
Maltese projects (not only Wikipedia) will have one representative. If
their most active project five or ten years in the future will have 5
very active members, they will not get another (per-project) seat. And
having one seat in the *electoral* body of 700 members (five to ten
years in the future) for so small community *is* reasonable.

If we say that Maltese+<Italian minority languages>+<constructed
languages>+<some other Mediterranean languages> have, for example, two
seats in the first five or ten years (or one in the first, two in the
second, three in the third...) -- they have to start with their own
communication and they have to talk with each other. Between adopted
proposition and the first election will pass at least a half of year.
So, they will have enough time to be introduced to each other and to
talk about common interests and to find the best person.

Such approach will promote inter-project and inter-language
coordination and coordination.