[Foundation-l] Volunteer Council - A shot for a resolution

Michael Snow wikipedia at verizon.net
Thu Mar 13 06:53:39 UTC 2008

Dan Rosenthal wrote:
> I think that a volunteer council is a great and well needed idea. I
> don't think that a preliminary council, flying by the seat of their
> pants and figuring out their jobs and authority as they go is at all a
> good idea. I especially don't like one that is already secretive about
> who will be on it. There are, for instance, some people that I would
> not support on a volunteer council under any situation. There are
> other people who would probably count me among that number. Brigitte
> said it absolutely best: with a group like this WHO [is on it] is
> probably the most important factor, possibly even more so than WHAT
> [does it do]; especially since who is on the council will define what
> they are able to do.

I don't think there's much in this proposal that's "already secretive"
about who would be on the council. A blank slate would be more like it.
At least, if there's a secret list then it's being kept secret from me,
even though I'm one of the board members who would have to decide on the
proposal. More likely is that the proponents, in trying to hammer out an
acceptable structure, simply haven't had any time to think about putting
together a list of people to put on the council. As far as I know, the
proposal has no particular form beyond what's being proposed openly.

If we do move in this direction, whatever the selection process, I
expect it would allow those interested in serving to make themselves
known, and for community feedback about these people to be heard. But we
have to wait to see who steps forward before it becomes appropriate to
start commenting on the candidates.

--Michael Snow