[Foundation-l] LA Times article / Advertising in Wikipedia

Milos Rancic millosh at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 12:13:33 UTC 2008

There are two different "ownerships" in relation to WM projects:

- Community owns content.
- WMF owns servers.

Relation between community and WMF is a different question. However,
there is an obvious distinction between people who are taking care
about content and people who are taking care about paying bills.

As a community member, I *want* to be asked about content-related
matters (like licenses are; for which I am *not* asked); but I really
don't care how WMF would raise money while it is reasonable and
according to some basic ethics (don't take willingly money from weapon
traders, militaries, terrorists...). And even Wikia-like ads are
reasonable enough.

I am sure that WMF would spend money for much better goals if it gets
more money than it is needed servers. I would really like to see WMF
as a donor to OLPC or some similar project; or even to see WMF as an
organization which acts as a protector of other free knowledge and
free software projects. Actually, I think that this is an important
responsibility of WMF because it is able to get a lot of money.

At the other side, I really don't like the idea of separating projects
in such matters because of "cultural differences". Cultural
differences may change approach to some cultural matters (which are
content- and community-structure-based), but not to the matters which
are of common interest.

If there is some common interest at all. But, this is a different,
much more important question for all of us.