[Foundation-l] LA Times article / Advertising in Wikipedia

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 08:13:05 UTC 2008

Hoi,
When you donate to the Wikimedia Foundation, you donate to the Foundation,
not to an individual project. When you compare the different projects, you
will have to agree that not much has been done for the "other" projects.
There are clear ideas on how the software could be improved and when funding
is available it would be possible to do so. When you look at Alexa for
Wiktionary, you will see that it is doing really well. A lot of revenue can
be had by the Wiktionary projects alone.

When you bank on the fact that the world will not end (it will not and at
most some people will suffer from withdrawal symptoms) the automatism
whereby you want to take what is not yours is funny. Now when the WMF states
that they are not equipped to take targeted money, that would be a different
story because that would be a practical issue.

When you bank on the fact that "other projects might be willing to give it a
chance too", you have to appreciate that with increased revenues it will
become possible to start work on all the projects that we dream about. When
we adopt advertisements, we will change our budget and we will want to
continue to do the things once started. Remember, it is not a zero sum game.
With more money we are able to do more and only when you consider a few
single language projects can it be argued that we already do "enough".
Thanks,
     GerardM