[Foundation-l] Statement to the Associated Press

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Tue Mar 11 19:25:30 UTC 2008

Lars Aronsson wrote:
> Luckily, however, since the price tag for servers doesn't come
> with a specificiation of how much went to "random dinners", we're
> never going to find out.  Less information for us saves us from
> being upset.  We might avoid IBM if they were using slave labour,
> but generally one doesn't buy servers based on management dinners.
> Instead the prudent organization bids for tenders from several
> manufacturers and picks the best offer, regardless of the methods
> and costs each manufacturer might have.
>
> Similarly, the prudent donor should ask which free content charity
> produces the best result for donated money.  Could the Wikimedia
> Foundation have done better?  Are there any stars that shine
> brighter in the cyber sky?

These are somewhat different cases, though. In the server case, at the
end of the day if you need a server, you're going to buy it from
someone. If all options seem wasteful, you'll take the least wasteful
one. IBM doesn't have to make you think they're great, only that they're
better than everyone else. But nobody has a hard requirement to donate
to a free content charity, so simply being the best free content charity
is not going to automatically get us anybody's money. We have to go the
added step and convince them that an incremental addition of money will
be spent, at least mainly, on directly furthering something that they
care about, rather than what they would see as wasteful (or even
legitimate overhead, too much of which turns people off when it comes to
charities). If, on the other hand, they perceive that a decrease in our
funding by, say, $100k, will result in us just trimming some fat and no
harm to our actual mission, then they'll withhold the donations.

-Mark