[Foundation-l] Statement to the Associated Press

Andrew Whitworth wknight8111 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 9 22:32:49 UTC 2008

On Sun, Mar 9, 2008 at 6:24 PM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 09/03/2008, Jimmy Wales <jwales at wikia.com> wrote:
>  > I encourage anyone who is tempted to believe this story to consider the
>  >  source.
>
>  If it's nonsense, could you explicitly say so? Then we can forget about it.

I can't consider the source if I've never heard of him before.

Also, instead of attacking the person (which is an all-too-common
practice here on foundation-l) it would be much easier to say "this is
false", if it is indeed false.

One person saying that funds were "mismanaged" is a relative thing. I
can imagine some people saying that hosting projects besides Wikipedia
is misdirected on the behalf of the foundation. Also, saying that a
person was banned after an annual donation pattern was terminated
gives us a timeline but doesnt infer causality.

A lot of information could be presented to turn this from a "scandal
about to break" to a harmless sideshow. I would hope that enough
information was given, but given the track record of people so far, i
doubt it will happen.

--Andrew Whitworth