[Foundation-l] LA Times article / Advertising in Wikipedia

Robert Rohde rarohde at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 18:47:10 UTC 2008

On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 11:28 AM, Brian <Brian.Mingus at colorado.edu> wrote:

> <snip>

However, if someone wants to set up such an opt-in scheme (e.g.,
> importScript('User:Foo/show_me_adverts.js')) and then donate the money
> earned to the Foundation, I don't think you need anyone's permission.

If you are using a script to add ads to your own Wikipedia skin, and then
clicking on those ads yourself, you would be violating the terms of service
of systems like Google Adsense.

To avoid fraud, one of the underlying requirements of all online advertising
systems is that the person or entity placing ads on a website must be
different from the person clicking on the ads.

-Robert Rohde