[Foundation-l] Muhammad

Andrew Whitworth wknight8111 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 13:43:06 UTC 2008

On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 9:29 AM, Oldak Quill <oldakquill at gmail.com> wrote:
>  As far as I'm aware, the issue isn't that the image is in the article.
>  The issue is that Wikipedia (or WF) is publishing the image at all.
>
>  Where do you suggest the compromise is?

I've heard a few things suggested over the course of the conversation:
1) Edit the images to remove the face of Mohammed from them.
2) Rename images which aren't expressly known to be Mohammed (such as
the one example that people discuss, where the image is likely Ali
instead). Use filenames which don't specifically say that the image is
of Mohammed.
3) Do more to specifically reference the images from the article,
including justifying why the image appears in the article at all
("this is an example of the way mohammed is depicted in..."). Using
the images for mere decoration is one thing, using them to illustrate
specific facts and examples is another.

Of these, I personally think #2 is the best first attempt, because it
doesnt require us to change any article content. After that, #3 is a
good idea because while we are modifying content, we are adding more
information to the article.

--Andrew Whitworth