[Foundation-l] Jimmy Wales in the news

Florence Devouard Anthere9 at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 8 13:54:30 UTC 2008

David Gerard wrote:
> On 07/03/2008, SlimVirgin <slimvirgin at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I agree. I had no idea when I started who owned what, and I didn't
>>  care. The social and moral value of the project exists independently
>>  of the money angle. And if it had been run with almost all the profits
>>  going to good causes, it would still have been a very attractive
>>  project to volunteer for.
>

> I always assumed (2004) it was Jimbo's wiki, he just let us edit it -
> I was unaware this had already changed as of 2003, at least on paper.

All assets (one server and a couple of domain names essentially) were
given to the Foundation mid 2003. The first big fundraiser took place in
december 2003. This fundraiser brought money from community members
mostly, and the money was used to pay for server n°2 and server n°3.

I have no idea who paid for server n°1. Presumably Jimbo or Bomis.

In 2004, legally speaking, it was definitly no more Jimbo's wiki. It was
Wikimedia Foundation wiki.

Ant