[Foundation-l] Jimmy Wales in the news

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Sun Mar 9 21:07:20 UTC 2008

David Gerard wrote:
> On 07/03/2008, SlimVirgin <slimvirgin at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> I agree. I had no idea when I started who owned what, and I didn't
>>  care. The social and moral value of the project exists independently
>>  of the money angle. And if it had been run with almost all the profits
>>  going to good causes, it would still have been a very attractive
>>  project to volunteer for.
>>

> I always assumed (2004) it was Jimbo's wiki, he just let us edit it -
> I was unaware this had already changed as of 2003, at least on paper.
>
> For a direct comparison, lots of people (including me) contribute to
> Wikia wikis, because the content can be taken off it and set up
> elsewhere, even though that's much more a case of "It's Jimbo and
> Angela's wiki farm, they just let us edit it".

I had the opposite issue---I came to Nupedia and Wikipedia assuming it
was a nonprofit organization, as I first found out about it through some
sort of confusion with a proposed Gnupedia. By the time I found out it
wasn't, it was in the process of becoming one so that wasn't a huge
deal, fortunately. But I certainly wouldn't have stayed around to edit a
for-profit company's wiki (and I don't, and won't, edit Wikia wikis).

-Mark