[Foundation-l] Concerns for Safety

Dan Rosenthal swatjester at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 17:15:30 UTC 2008

Andrew,  that's precisely my point. We should be concentrating on
ensuring that things DON'T go wrong, and that involves a serious
questioning in whether we hold Wikimania in Alexandria.  I could care
less if this is viewed as traditional Americanism. I'm an American,
and the foundation is headquartered in America. The foundation is
ultimately responsible to the laws of America.

Nathan, you can make fun of first year law students all you want, but
I'm simply pointing out that the Foundation has a duty. You may not
want to accept it, you may disagree with it, but that's how it is.
They need to factor that into their risk assessment as to whether it's
a good idea for them to continue with Wikimania in Alexandria despite
the objections. If nothing goes wrong, great. But if something does,
there is a problem. And as you mentioned, it is fundamentally American
to sue over everything. You make these common sense arguments about
parents protecting children and such, but in fact parents do have a
legal duty to protect their children from 3rd party criminal acts
under the exact same principle of common law that the foundation does
(it's codified in the Restatement (second) of torts §314A and further
in §324A.)

My broader point here is that there are so many reasons why Alexandria
is a bad idea: discrimination, censorship, threats of violence,
negative publicity from demonstrations, possible interference or
monitoring from the government, liability issues, difficulty of
location, etc. that each new one piled on top is yet MORE reason why
it's just not worth it for us to have Wikimania there. It's not about
any one issue, it's about ALL of the issues combined that outweigh any
benefits that Alexandria has. It's about the fact that the bid team
refuses to give them any due consideration. In the last meeting, for
instance, there was whining and complaining about even bringing the
security issues up. They were discussed for all of 10 minutes, during
which time no substantive points were addressed or raised. The bid
team is completely indifferent to the security concerns, and when the
jury selected the bid, the situation was much more stable than it is
now. But yet, some members of the community feel locked in to
Alexandria, despite plenty of evidence to suggest that it could be a
bad idea, despite that even the foundation is having second thoughts
about it. We are a freaking Wiki-based organization for crying out
loud, we don't have to be locked into things. Wikis are all about
changes. Why is it that some people here are so resistant to changes?

-DAn