[Foundation-l] Concerns for Safety

Dan Rosenthal swatjester at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 15:01:32 UTC 2008

Nathan: We brought our concerns up repeatedly during jury selection.
They were dismissed and ignored by the Alexandria team every time.

As for talking about lawsuits, it's not a scare tactic, and I'd be
afraid for the foundation if the mere mention from a first-year law
student can pressure Mike Godwin. But the difficulties that you claim
are not there. The foundation is a US organization, and thus could be
sued by a US citizen for negligence in planning that occurred in the
US. Who knows whether that would win on the merits, but the
possibility does exist.

It's getting a bit tiresome to hear "Anyone who feels endangered
should, well, not go". We shouldn't have to. We should be able to go
to these events without worry and risk. That's the whole point.
Wikimania in Alexandria hurts both those that attend AND those that
stay behind. Saying "if you feel endangered you shouldn't go" directly
contradicts the Foundation's mission of being a source of knowledge to
everyone, and Wikimania being available to everyone. Everyone should
be able to attend, anyone who wants to, and part of doing so is the
requirement that the Foundation ensure the security and safety of
everyone who attends.

-Dan