[Foundation-l] [WikiEN-l] Another free encyclopedia: Encyclopedia of the Cosmos

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Thu Mar 6 20:40:07 UTC 2008

On 3/6/08, Oldak Quill <oldakquill at gmail.com> wrote:
>  As an aside, how is Wikipedia/GFDL and CC-by-SA coming along? Is
>  Wikipedia waiting on GFDL and CC-by-SA to work out compatibility?

(CCing foundation-l, since folks there may be interested-)

Creative Commons is working actively with us on the "migration checklist":
http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/foundation-l/2007-December/035677.html

They are internally discussing a draft statement of intent, and
they've updated the CC frontpages to reference the Definition of Free
Cultural Works. Plus, at this point there is a consensus between our
two organizations that CC-BY-SA should function as a "strong copyleft"
license, just not yet about the best way to achieve that.

On the FSF side, we're waiting for a version of the GFDL that has the
migration language in it; hopefully this will be approved soon.

So, things are progressing. Given that there are multiple
organizations involved, plus a commitment from us to only make the
final step after consultation with the community, it's a complex
process, but I'll hope we'll get there soon enough -- the
incompatibility between CC-BY-SA and GFDL is a serious impediment for
the free culture movement.
--
Erik Möller
Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation