[Foundation-l] Concern for the safety of Wikimanians in Alexandria

Mike Godwin mgodwin at wikimedia.org
Thu Mar 6 19:11:51 UTC 2008

Marc writes:

> Thank you for this, Mike. I still am, however, puzzled why the
> decision was
> made to hold a major, sponsored event in a place where a sizable
> portion of
> the guests are not welcome; and, in some cases, are treated with
> hostility.
> Is this not condoning bigotry?

Please understand that the decision about locating Wikimania was not
made by me or by the Wikimedia Foundation.  It was made by the
Wikimania Jury. I feel certain that questions about that independent
process can be answered better by other participants here rather than
me.

--Mike Godwin
General Counsel
Wikimedia Foundation