[Foundation-l] Concern for the safety of Wikimaniansin Alexandria

Brian McNeil brian.mcneil at wikinewsie.org
Thu Mar 6 16:31:23 UTC 2008

I have a simple request here - and it applies to this topic but does not add
to the discussion on it.

SHUT UP UNTIL MIKE AND SUE HAVE DONE THEIR INVESTIGATION/ANALYSIS!

In the space of approximately 12 hours I ended up with over 170 messages in
my foundation-l folder, mainly on the Alexandria issue. Those that I read
added little or nothing to the discussion and were rehashing of already
flogged-to-death aspects of the location decision. No wonder board members
don't want to be involved in this list; some people make it a full-time
occupation just to read it.

Sue has been asked to look into this by the board, and I'd guess that's why
Mike is posting about it to keep people informed on an investigation that
has been partly delegated to him and is ongoing. I have every confidence
that Mike will liaise with the WM2008 organisers and get details on what
contact they've had with local law enforcement about security measures. A
little understanding about the fact that some security is "security through
obscurity" is required.

I've tried to stay out of this debate-cum-debacle that the mailing list has
become; instead I'm trying to put together a team of Wikinewsies to turn up,
do coverage of the event, talks, and workshops. Hell, I even managed to
persuade Mike Halterman to put his name down and he makes no secret of being
gay.

Brian McNeil