[Foundation-l] Concern for the safety of Wikimedians at Wikimania in Alex...

Dan Rosenthal swatjester at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 20:38:58 UTC 2008

Hoi,

Who is this we you speak of Gerard? Are you so arrogant that you think
you speak for every Wikimedian? You've seen first hand that there are
quite a few people who share my opinion on this list. Do you speak for
them too? Disagree with my opinions, but how dare you put words into
my mouth: I've never told anyone here how to live their lives. You
must be mistaking that for constructive criticism. You obviously are
out of touch with what's going on because we can't just "leave it to
the WMF to assess the situation": they weren't going to do so until we
spoke up. Is that "not letting you live your lives?" How hypocritical
is that statement. What about "Dan if you want to go to Wikimania, you
can't be publicly jewish." "Mike, if you want to go to Wikimania, you
can't be publicly gay".  Is that your impression of letting people
live their own lives?

Or am I not letting you go to Wikimania if you so choose? The only way
that would happen would be if the foundation actually agrees with me
that, gosh, there may just be legitimate concerns after all, at which
point, it becomes their decision. Feel free to continue with the
hyperbole though, it's fun.

Invoking concentration camp images is both irrelevant and offensive,
especially since we're talking about discrimination against Jews. You
want an open and inviting conference? Host it in an open and inviting
country (here's a hint: Egypt is not it). In answer to your question:
yes. You may blame me for it all you want, and I will feel free to
point and laugh at you, and call you an arrogant jackass who can't
take the idea that the foundation can do wrong.

  Cut the "we" crap, and the generalizations. Speak for yourself
alone; you don't speak for anyone else.

Thanks,
Dan