[Foundation-l] We're not just here to run a hideously popular andexpensive website, after all

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 20:38:55 UTC 2008

Hoi,
One of the things we are doing is localising MediaWiki. This will lower the
barrier to entry for many of the language projects. For many projects
including some big projects like Italian, Hindi, Polish and Spanish a lot
more work needs doing. When you wonder how this impacts the not so connected
world, we cannot provide off line content if it is not created on line
first. All the work that we do to ease the use of MediaWiki will help.

Another project that the WMF has been pushing is to develop software that
allows for the export of MediaWiki content in the PDF format. In this way we
can extract information off the Internet, print it and use it off line. This
is surely of relevance for projects like Wikibooks. Obviously in this way
much of thel formatting like Wikilinks are lost. There are multiple projects
that have produced information for off line usage on memory stick or CD/DVD.
I have a German, an English and a Farsi off line version of the Wikipedias
for instance.
Thanks,
     GerardM