[Foundation-l] How about WikiMedia in Google Summer of Code 2008

Husky huskyr at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 12:18:29 UTC 2008

On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 5:08 PM, Andrew Whitworth <wknight8111 at gmail.com> wrote:
>  A WYSIWYG editor would make a fantastic project for a developer to
>  jump into. That's one that I personally would like to participate in,
>  although I would need to do a lot of reading to get my PHP back up to
>  par. Of course, it may be too ambitious for a single summer project.
Hmm.. i wouldn't be that keen on making a WYSIWYG editor a priority
for MediaWiki. I agree that having a more friendly user interface for
editing wiki articles would be great, but it has to be -really- given
good thought, i don't think it's simply a question of integrating
FCKeditor or TinyMCE in MediaWiki, we should first have a good concept
on how you should edit wiki articles in a visual way.

Aside from that, a Google SoC project to improve usability and the
user interface would be great and would really enhance the software.
Maybe simplifying the way skins work is step one in that process?

-- Husky / Hay