[Foundation-l] Concern for the safety of Wikimedians at Wikimania in Alex...

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed Mar 5 10:37:22 UTC 2008

Nathan wrote:
> Must be Salt Lake City. MSA, for those who don't know (which could be
> nobody) is "metropolitan statistical area." I only know that, not because I
> know things, but because Medicare is a statistically significant pain in my
> ass.
>
> I'd be interested if
> someone had some detailed knowledge of the IOC selection process (aside from
> venues and facilities and traffic considerations, how do they deal with
> political problems and the threat of violence?). We should consider echoing
> them. Heck, we could even follow their schedule and have Wikimedia
> conferences in the same places.
It's interesting that you should make this suggestion in the same
message that talks about Salt Lake City.  The way that the games were
awarded to SLC inspired some changes in the procedure, not that we could
afford the kind of politicking that went on there.

That said, I have visited Salt Lake City and have always felt very safe
there

Ec