[Foundation-l] Concern for the safety of Wikimedians at Wikimania in Alex...

Nathan nawrich at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 22:22:47 UTC 2008

Must be Salt Lake City. MSA, for those who don't know (which could be
nobody) is "metropolitan statistical area." I only know that, not because I
know things, but because Medicare is a statistically significant pain in my
ass.

More importantly, I agree that there is a difference between the danger of
random violence in most Western cities and the danger of specifically
targeted violence in Egypt and elsewhere in the Middle East. However, the
danger is unmeasured at this point (and to some degree, of course,
unmeasurable) and those who are aware of the potential and choose to go
should know that they are taking risks that the Foundation simply cannot
remove. I don't think the Alexandria Wikimania should be removed - if few
attend because of safety concerns, then in the future Wikimanias will be
scheduled with that in mind. Those who are minded to attend know the risks,
and hopefully Sue's report will outline what specifically can be done in
addition to what attendees must do for themselves. I'd be interested if
someone had some detailed knowledge of the IOC selection process (aside from
venues and facilities and traffic considerations, how do they deal with
political problems and the threat of violence?). We should consider echoing
them. Heck, we could even follow their schedule and have Wikimedia
conferences in the same places.

Nathan

Nathan