[Foundation-l] Concern for the safety of Wikimedians at Wikimania in Alex...

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 20:32:11 UTC 2008

Hoi,
Most of the people who come from abroad for Wikimania are there for the
conference itself and behave as I describe. They are however not the only
people at the conference. The number of people who are native to the country
is large. The number of Chinese in Taipei was much different from the number
of Chinese in Boston. While most of the people attending the conference from
abroad do not have much contact with the country where a Wikimania is held
we have it in that country exactly for the large number of local people who
show up for our conference and for the attention that we get particularly
from the local press.

As people pay their own way to the conference, there is no cheapest place.