[Foundation-l] Concern for the safety of Wikimedians at Wikimania in Alexandria.

geni geniice at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 20:06:47 UTC 2008

On 04/03/2008, Mark Williamson <node.ue at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think the main difference here is that drug use is illegal in almost
>  every country, the Netherlands being an exception. Homosexual activity
>  is decriminalized in almost all of the Americas and Europe as well as
>  much of Asia (which is not part of the Western world, so there!).
>
>  The way women are treated varies greatly among cultures as well, so
>  I'm not going to say that women will be better or worse off in Egypt
>  than in country X, Y, or Z.
>

>  Mark

In the US I can be arrested for crossing the road. From time to time
brits doing just that get into trouble (British law doesn't for the
most part have a problem with jaywalking other than on motorways).

If people insist on Narrowing the issue to one of sexuality quite a
number of US states would outlaw sex with 17 year olds (legal in the
UK).

In terms of getting into trouble for content on the site UK should be
avoided due to interesting libel laws and europe has all those fun
anti-nazi laws. Oh and France has that law about the Armenian
genocide. Cartoons could get you into trouble in spain
(http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/11/14/wspain114.xml
do we have an article on this BTW?) and while we got lucky in the last
Vatican press release I would rather we didn't appear in a second.

--
geni