[Foundation-l] Concern for the safety of Wikimedians at Wikimania in Alexandria.

Marco Chiesa chiesa.marco at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 08:58:03 UTC 2008

Mark Williamson ha scritto:
> I think the main difference here is that drug use is illegal in almost
> every country, the Netherlands being an exception. Homosexual activity
> is decriminalized in almost all of the Americas and Europe as well as
> much of Asia (which is not part of the Western world, so there!).

BTW, according to
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodomy_laws_in_the_United_States it seems
that until 2003 a few states in the US had laws against sodomy, meaning
that those places would have been considered unsafe for LGBT people.
Fortunately things have changed now, but I have the feeling that there
wouldn't have been such the havoc in this mailing list if Wikimania 2002
had been scheduled in Idaho or Oklahoma.

Every location would have some problems for someone, being it the
difficulty/impossibility to get a visa or pay for the airfare, diseases,
restrictive laws, terrorism threats.
Cruccone