[Foundation-l] Concern for the safety of Wikimedians at Wikimania in Alexandria.

Nathan nawrich at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 01:05:25 UTC 2008

I don't think so. My post said that further discussion should be focused on
tools to assist individuals with their personal safety. If some are planning
to go Egypt and have concerns, there are concrete steps to take that do not
involve Foundation-l. We can accept that there is more danger in holding the
conference in Egypt than in Seattle, and we can also stipulate that despite
this the conference will not be moved based on this thread. Therefore,
constructive discussion will have to be in one of two categories: (1)
Suggesting and assisting with preparation prior to the conference and (2)
suggestions on how to more fully incorporate security concerns into future
decisions. Since Brisbane, Karlsruhe, Buenos Aires and Toronto are
relatively safe cities in relatively safe countries these suggestions must
of course focus on 2010. Given that 2010 is three Wikimanias away, it makes
sense that this discussion could be postponed.

So, based on the above... Not withdrawing any part of my post except where I
suggested no one had expressed a personal fear. I would direct Phillipe to
the beginning of the first thread, where nearly all good recommendations for
ensuring ones personal safety were posted.

Nathan