[Foundation-l] Muhammad

Robert Rohde rarohde at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 14:03:44 UTC 2008

In Shi'a Islam, Ali and his descendents are the true political and religious
successors to Muhammad.  He was a contemporary of Muhammad's, the first man
other than Muhammad to accept Islam, and after Muhammad's death was
considered an infallible leader in his own right.  Sunnis also revere him,
but don't consider him infallible and recognize a more complicated set of
legitimate successors to Muhammad.

Aside from Muhammad himself, Ali is probably the most important figure in
the founding of Shi'a.  I've been told that depictions of Ali are relatively
common in Shi'a areas (more so than any historical Muslim leader including
Muhammad), though I have no direct knowledge of this.
-Robert Rohde