[Foundation-l] Please REJECT the latin wikinews project.inmediatly

Brian McNeil brian.mcneil at wikinewsie.org
Mon Jun 23 19:41:47 UTC 2008

I already stated that, as one of the more senior Wikinews contributors, I
would welcome an effort to make templates and write articles within the
Simple English limited vocabulary on the standard English Wikinews project.
Writing simple English is hard; I doubt I could do it. In addition, the
focus is not primarily the news event, but the demonstration of the basics
of the language in use. News has a potential to be good for this because
there is a chance students already know the story from sources in their own
language. There is scope to infer meaning from unknown words and increase
known vocabulary.

I cannot ever see an independent Simple English Wikinews working. The very
idea is closer to a Wikiversity language education project than a news
dissemination project.

I would be delighted to see the proponents of such a project redirected to
the main English Wikinews, and the Wikinews-l mailing list. I believe the
project can find a place for them and their work - provided it is recognised
that they are providing educational texts based on current affairs.

Brian McNeil